The CTFA statement on AFC Match

As the Taipower match with Ulaanbaatar City FC has been postponed due to the outbreak of the coronavirus and the travel ban now put in place here is the Chinese Taipei Football Association CTFA statement below on the matter. This is a loose translation from the statement. 

AFC match suspended 

Taipower, where scheduled to leave for Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia this morning (Sunday) for their 2020 AFC Cup qualifier. This was suspended with the coronavirus and Mongolia’s temporary ban on citizens of Taiwan, China, Hong Kong and Macau entering the country.

The AFC Cup first match in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia’s capital, is due to take place on Wednesday nut now looks to be suspended. The team is currently waiting for the final decision of the Mongolian government and the AFC.

As Taipower was concerned about the impact of the epidemic beforehand, they tried to write to the Mongolian Football Association through the CTFA many times in early January to confirm if the game will be held as scheduled. Then on Saturday morning, the Mongolian government suddenly ordered the suspension of the entry of citizens of Taiwan, China, Hong Kong and Macau along with suspending all public activities.

When the side then arrived on Sunday at Taipei Taoyuan Airport with their previously prepared visas, an invitation letter from Mongolian Football Association, and air tickets, they where informed by the Mongolian Immigration Bureau at the Airport they are being refused entry.

At the same time, the airline refused to board the plane because of the decision of the Mongolian Immigration Bureau. The CTFA staff assisted on the scene actively contacting the AFC and the Mongolian Football Association and sought the possibility of entry to the Mongolian government through diplomatic channels.

However, the Mongolian government was not able to obtain permission before the last boarding time. At the same time, the Mongolian Football Association also informed the AFC and Taipower that due to the border closure, the Taipower side cannot currently enter Mongolia, and the game may not be held as scheduled.

Regarding the delay, Taipower's head coach Chen Kuei-Jen said: "No matter what the final result is, I believe that God will have the best arrangements for the brothers." At the same time, it also said that Taipower will continue to prepare for the next game due on the 12th February in Taipei.

Regarding the current situation, the CTFA will continue to communicate through various channels. At the same time, we will cooperate with the AFC in all subsequent arrangements.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post