Champions League is back as Ulsan draw with FC Tokyo

The Asian Champions League was back this week and it was great to talk about East Asian football in the region with no talk of quarantines. A crowd of just 3,500 turned up as Ulsan hosted FC Tokyo at the Ulsan Munsu Football Stadium. The small crowd which was enhanced by the 600 travelling over from Japan were not left disappointed as the sides battled it out in an entertaining 1-1 draw. 

Attacking match 

A goal each in the second half first from Diego Oliveira from the J League side followed by an Adailton own goal ensured the opening match of Group F ended without a winner.

That was to be the only match in the Group as Shanghai Shenhua match with Perth Glory is delayed due to the ongoing issues with the coronavirus in China.

The game then saw in the 64th minute Diego Oliveira score from a tight angle to put FC Tokyo ahead. This was to be cancelled out in unfortunate circumstances as a Sin Jin-Ho freekick found the head of Adailton who headed into his own goal to put Ulsan level.

The match between the sides who finished runners-up in their leagues saw two teams unable to be separated.

The match started with both teams looking to be attacking as Ulsan lined up in a 3-2-2-3 formation with Davidson and Jeong Dong-Ho playing as fullback/wingers supporting the three attackers of Johnsen, Junior Negao and Kim In-Sung.

Meanwhile, FC Tokyo who was known for sitting back and defending for much of last season also looked to attack in a 4-3-3 formation.  This saw a front three for them made in Brazil of Leandro, Diego Oliveira and Adailton.

We witnessed this attacking intent too as both teams started strongly with attempts on goal. This was seen as within five minutes  Leandro had an attempt on goal.

Aforementioned pressure continued with FC Tokyo looking the more likely to take an early lead. Ulsan did look strong on the counterattack.

Johnsen though looked the biggest threat in front of goals for Ulsan and this was seen when he hit the bar on 17 minutes after a lovely cross-field pass from Jeong Dong-Ho.

Despite the good play though the first half ended goalless both sides you could have thought would have been quite happy with this too.

The second half though then saw both teams looks to up the pressure as you could see they both wanted to score. FC Tokyo then did break the deadlock just after the half-hour mark from Diego Oliveira and at this point, you may have thought the Brazilians strike could be enough to take the three points home.

This was seen as Ulsan looked to get forward but apart from a Lee Dong-Gyeong strike they did not look like getting that equaliser. That was till a hopeful free-kick into the box somehow found Adailton heading into this own net.

After that, both teams looked for a winner but in truth, a draw was the fair result and both sides will happy to get off the mark early in the Group.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post