Kitchee beat Southern to claim the Hong Kong FA Cup title

(photo: HKFA)
The Hong Kong FA Cup final marks the end of the season in Hong Kong football, as Kitchee claimed the last trophy of the season as well as the last slot for the next year AFC Cup.
The highly anticipated FA Cup final was played last weekend between Kitchee and Southern FC, it was the last match of the season but it also was the last opportunity for both teams to book a place in next years AFC competition.

After the disappointing end of the season for both clubs, with Kitchee finishing the Hong Kong Premier League in 4th and Southern in 3rd, this game was the perfect opportunity to raise confidence levels. Kitchee is the historic powerhouses in Hong Kong football and Southern after two big seasons didn't make it easy for the former champions.

The match was played in Hong Kong stadium in front of 3,655 people, the first half saw an even match with good opportunities for both sides, half time was reached without any goals scored. In the second half, the scenario was the same, with the two teams cancelling each other out, with good opportunities for the deadlock to be broken only coming late in the match.

On 85 minutes Lucas da Silva scored the first for Kitchee, breaking Southern hopes only for Fernando Pereira to score the 2nd deep in injury time to make the final result 2-0. In the end, Kitchee's bigger experience with decisive matches was the key to breaking the deadlock in the match and win the last trophy of the season.

Kitchee 2-0 Southern Match Highlights

In Macau, Benfica Macau once again failed to live up to expectation losing against Hang Sai 3-0 being the most surprising result of the round, the Macau champions are now in 5th position 12 points behind the leaders. C.P.K. continue their walk on the park for their first ever title by trashing Tim Iec 7-0, Cheng Fung maintains the pressure as they sit four points behind with a 4-2 win against Policia, and further behind Monte Carlo also won their match 5-1 against Macau U23.

Turning our attention to Mongolia, Erchim failed to win their last two matches, first, it was a surprising 3-3 draw with Deren and in the following round in the top of the table clash, Ulaanbataar City trashed Erchim 3-0 claiming the top position undefeated.  Ulaanbaatar City now leads the table with three more points than Erchim and Athletic 220.

Finally, in Taiwan, Taipower and Tainan City played the highlight match of the round with the game finishing with a 1-1 draw. With this result, Tatung now leads the table with two more points than Tainan City and five more points than Taipower. Hang Yuen is in 4th, with a seven points gap to the top of the table but with one game in hand.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post