Taiwan 0 - 1 New Zealand

Welcome to our match report brought to you by our writer Shivaji Chapekar. Shivaji his making his debut with From the Tofu Bowl so we hope you enjoy. You can also find him on Twitter at @feel_shiva9.

Taiwan lost their second consecutive match in the ongoing Hero Intercontinental Cup after they were edged out 1-0 by All Whites at the Andheri Sports Complex in Mumbai, Maharashtra. Myer Bevan’s 36th-minute penalty strike gave the All Whites three points as they trumped over Gary White's young team.

The All Whites dominated the possession and launched a string of attacks but Taiwan braved these attacks however in the 35th minute, Sarpreet Singh was brought down in the box and New Zealand were rewarded a penalty. Myer Bevan stepped up to take the spot-kick and scored past the Taiwan keeper to put the All Whites ahead. Will Donkin once again showed his class but failed to leave an impact, as the Taiwan team showed they badly missed prolific veteran Chen Po-Liang.

The half-time scoreline read 1-0 in New Zealand’s favour and shortly after the second half had started, the All Whites were back attacking again.

In the 50th minute, a shot from inside the box went inches over the bar as New Zealand looked to cement their authority in the match. Chinese Taipei recovered and in the 67th minute tried to level proceedings but a cross from the right flank was thwarted away by the Kiwi defensive line. Two minutes later a shot from inside the box went inches wide of the Kiwi goal.

In the dying minutes, Taiwan put all their efforts in to finding a goal but failed to breach the All Whites defence and could not make the most out of it. The full-time scoreline then went on to read 1-0 in New Zealand’s favour. 

In the post-match press conference, Despite the loss, White expressed pride in the display shown by his men at the Mumbai Football Arena on Tuesday. He went on to say “It was a great battle and to see my U-23 players fight like that shows the great future for the Taiwan side. To lose by a dodgy penalty, frustrates me,” White said at the post-match press conference.

“The players feel robbed of a victory because of the character and fight they showed today,” the Taiwan head coach added. While White took issue with the officiating in the match, he hoped that the referees could learn from their mistakes.

“The officiating was totally unfair and for the game to be decided on a penalty was frustrating. To see our semi-professionals play tonight was good,” White quipped. “The referees were okay but had a lapse in concentration. This is a friendly where everyone has to learn,” he went on to add. 

Taiwan will face Kenya next on June 8 in their last match of the tournament. Gary White's men will be looking for some consolation to sign off the tournament on a high note.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post